Monday, June 5, 2017

Do you know the answer? FERS Supplement Eligibility

Article Title: Do you know the answer? FERS Supplement Eligibility
One of our readers questioned us with a very interesting question that we did not have a citable reference to or an answer for. We suggested our reader post the question at the Federal Soup Forum at https://forum.federalsoup.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=77495#post851184. If you think you have the answer, please share it at: https://forum.federalsoup.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=77495#post851184. The question is as follows:

  • I am confused relating to the FERS Supplement. I understand how it works: https://goo.gl/ERFOJC , but I am unable to determine if I am currently eligible. I have 37 years of service toward my federal retirement. I am 57 years old. My service time is as follows: 9 years U.S. Navy 1979-1988 (I bought this time back), 2.5 years DoD and the remainder is Postal Service time. Here is my question: Does my 9 years of 'bought back' military time count? I understand this time was not under a FERS program and would NOT count in the monetary computation even though I bought the time for retirement purposes. But does that 9 years count toward my ELIGIBILITY for the supplement? For example, would I retire and garner the SRS because I am eligible, but for pay/computation purposes, would I have to subtract the nine years of military? Your time in answering my question would be greatly appreciated. I would also be appreciative of a 'cited reference' to any answers. Thanks again.

  • Source: forum.federalsoup.com

    [tag] Federal Employee News, Federal Civil Service, [/tag]